Monday, September 5, 2011

My Quest

Join me in my quest to Reverse Heart Disease

I am starting this blog so that my friends and family can join me in my quest to reverse the heart disease that is so prevelant in not only my own family but the entire country as well.  This week the nation finally got a chance to view the the CNN special "The last Heart Attack" hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.  It featured former President Bill Clinton among others who have been following the diet by Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. The basic diet is simple.  Dr. Esselstyn has only a few rules:
  1. No Meat, Chicken or fish
  2. No Dairy
  3. No Eggs   
  4. No Oil (this mean No nuts or Avocado)
  5. Use ONLY whole grain products
  6. Use soy products with care (Lightlife Smart Dogs are on Esselstyn's list of "Safe Food"

Dr. Ornish is almost as strict but allows egg whites (not the yolks!) and 1 cup of fat free milk or yogurt per day.

But you ask! What CAN you eat?? How can I cook with no eggs, dairy or oil?? 
           
That is what I will endeavor to show you.  I have been asked to give a detailed view of my day to day diet, what I eat at each meal, recipes and grocery shopping list with "safe foods" including their brands. 
This is a new adventure and a life altering one at that!  This commitment is NOT for the wishy washy folks who think "a little bit won't hurt"!  So join me and please submit any recipes or suggestions that are NO FAT and do not include any of the forbidden foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment